About This Blog

The Summer of Armando

My name is Armando, a Venezuelan living in Massachusetts and I work for a company that offers a few great benefits. One of them is what the...

Thursday, August 17, 2017

The Race

Today we went to the Gulfstream racetrack. We wanted Lucas to see the horses and do something different. After lunch, we got to the track and since we told him about horse racing he got obsessed with the number 10. He kept saying that the horse with number 10 was the best horse and he was going to win. We walked to some sort of "on deck circle" where the horses were being walked around and the jockey for the  number 10 horse said hello to Lucas and gave him a thumbs up. We followed them into the track and picked some random seats, Lucas sat on the one with the number 10 of course. I thought a little bit on whether I should take heed of all these signs and bet on number 10, the odds were not very good, but before I could make up my mind the race started.

It was a very good race, a three way competition that ended with the race favorite as the winner, number 8. Where was number 10? Dead last. As we say in Venezuela he came in behind the ambulance. I saved some money by not making the bet. Lucas was sad, he was really rooting for number 10 and its performance was very disappointing. I had to make up a story that it had twisted its ankle and that's why it could not run as fast. Lucas really wanted to see another race, but it was about 98 degrees and the next race would not start in about half an hour. We convinced him to go bowling instead.

Bowling was fun, we played on a mini lane with guardrails that made the game more enjoyable for a 3 year old. Honestly it was more enjoyable for a terrible bowler like me too. My score was incredible! I beat Lucas and celebrated. The Vinciguerra way is not to let your kids beat you at anything. We are very competitive. I did congratulate him for his effort and told him that if he kept practicing he could beat me one day. He took it as a challenge and was not bummed out. We then went to play some arcade games. There was a Mario Kart game that we really wanted to play. I left him seating on it while I was buying some tokens a couple of steps away. I heard a loud bump and turned around to see him on the floor crying. He fell down from the car seat and now had a big bump in his forehead. I went to get some ice and consoled him. When he calmed down we played the Mario Kart game and then I won a rubber duck for him in one of those claw games.

It was a fun day, a little bit accidental but I think Lucas had a blast. Matias was Matias and smiled throughout the whole day.

I would also like to recommend you all to follow my cousin in Youtube. She is working on some very funny videos. I personally recommend the life hacks and the venezuelan word quiz ones. You can click here to watch them all. They are in Spanish.

2 comments:

  1. Now you know never to leave a child unattended poor Lucas !! That is why Mums are multitasking and have 360° heads always looking ......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pobre Matías!!!! Como el porrón chino!

    ReplyDelete