About This Blog

The Summer of Armando

My name is Armando, a Venezuelan living in Massachusetts and I work for a company that offers a few great benefits. One of them is what the...

Tuesday, August 15, 2017

The Muffin Tops

Sugar. Every time I heard someone apologize because his kid had too much sugar I would just shake my head and blame it on bad parenting. I've never felt an energy rush from eating sugar so why would it affect a kid that much? I saw it just as an excuse to somehow justify why their kid is screaming at the top of their lungs and running in circles like a caged animal. Alegna is the one that usually handles the discipline with eating sugar. I'm not very disciplined at eating so I feel like a hypocrite telling Lucas no you can't eat what I'm eating.

Today I was more relaxed than usual about what he ate. I let him have a muffin after his lunch because he had eaten all of his food. Then some friends bought him an ice cream and I couldn't say no to the invitation. But then a little later I felt like eating ice cream too so I bought one for me and, of course, we shared. This is when I started to believe about the existence of sugar rushes. Lucas became a different kid. It was like he was the Tasmanian Devil, loud and in fast motion. Getting him to nap was impossible. I sent him with my cousins to walk and run on the beach to see if he would burn some of it. He came back 30 minutes later, soaked in sweat but still a little hyper. I convinced him to take a bath and that seemed to calm him down. He was out a few minutes after his bath. It was exhausting.

I learned my lesson. I should have more discipline about what we both eat. Lucas is a good kid and usually very sociable but what I saw today scared me straight. This new policy might hopefully even help me lose some weight. Also, I might have been right from the start my kid running around like crazy was due to bad parenting, just not the kind of bad parenting I thought.

1 comment:

  1. Ensayo y error así será todo el camino de criar a tus hijos

    ReplyDelete