About This Blog

The Summer of Armando

My name is Armando, a Venezuelan living in Massachusetts and I work for a company that offers a few great benefits. One of them is what the...

Wednesday, August 2, 2017

The Little Kicks

This morning, while driving to daycare, we were listening to the radio as we usually do. Every once in a while a song will come up that catches Lucas's attention and we will talk about it. Sometimes it will become part of his repertoire of favorite songs and I will add it to his Spotify playlist I named Luquencio. This time it was really funny because he asked to turn up the volume on the "Kars 4 Kids" jingle. He thought it was interesting that at the end of the song the man and the kid were singing together. I told him: yes that is called harmonizing, do you want to hear the best harmony song ever? I played him The Sound of Silence. It did nothing to him. It's not the first time this has happened to me, I have failed with other songs as well.

It is very interesting how a song will just catch his ear the first time he listens to it. The first time it happened was with Bohemian Rhapsody, he loved that they would yell "Mamma Mia!" and would point at his mom. Other songs that caught his ear instantly were Yellow Submarine, Sugar Sugar and the Banana Boat Song. Another batch of songs are more meaningful to Alegna, like Beautiful Boy that he sings with her every day before bedtime and Cachito Mio that they will dance together singing the chorus out loud.

Matias obviously has not developed a musical taste yet. Right now all of our musical experience is based on another playlist I created with Rockabye Baby songs. It has baby sounding renditions of songs by bands like Sublime, Radiohead, Green Day, AC/DC and many more. We usually listen to it while we are playing or doing his strengthening exercises. He usually does this spastic kicks when music is playing that look like Elaine's dance moves. It sometimes makes me laugh and I will try to find a song that goes with his moves. Soon, I expect, he will also be developing his musical taste and I will create a playlist for him, I already have the name for it: Matute. Luquencio and Matute are two very geeky nicknames I have for my kids.

What did I watch?
Bound for Glory: A goody goody story about Woody Guthrie. They paint him like an idealistic saint that gives everything for the people. I don't really know much about him, but I would have preferred a more believable story with some imperfections. All humans have them. The most interesting thing about this movie is a very famous scene where the Steadicam was first used. He walks through a camp and a crowd with a camera following him in what was previously and impossible shot to make and that we now see on almost every movie.

2 comments:

  1. Mix: Green Day: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Soa3gO7tL-c&list=RDEMpS_cyiJv8kJGXZEfAuiAeA
    Un buen remix de green day espero que abra el Link. Pero que paso con los pollitos dicen.....bueno los tiempos cambian 🐣🐣🐣

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jajajaja Vinci le tienes que poner algo más movido que the sound of silence!! Ponle The Beach Boys!

    ReplyDelete