About This Blog

The Summer of Armando

My name is Armando, a Venezuelan living in Massachusetts and I work for a company that offers a few great benefits. One of them is what the...

Thursday, July 20, 2017

The Seven

Sometimes raising a baby unconsciously becomes a race to the next milestone. Does he hold his head up? Does he follow your face? Then comes turning over, sitting down, crawling, walking, talking, etc. These are all important milestones in their development and of course you want to help them achieve them. I try to do some tummy time every day with Matias so he can gain some muscle strength for his next milestones. But I have another set of milestones that I find more interesting and amusing that I observed on Lucas and I am curious to see how Matias develops them. I will call them the Seven Vinciguerra Milestones.


  1. Holding their own bottle: My least favorite part of taking care of  a baby is feeding it. You are pretty much trapped and you can't do anything else except just sit there. When you can finally free your hands while he is feeding feels like a great advancement.
  2. Understanding the concept of blowing their nose: There is nothing worse than hearing your baby breathe through some nasal congestion. I have become an expert in using the suction nasal aspirators but it is a relief when you can just put a tissue on his nose and say blow and he knows what the hell you are talking about.
  3. Understanding the concept of pointing: The moment when a toddler finally understands that when you point at something he should be looking in the direction of your finger instead of at your finger feels like a great advancement in abstract thinking.
  4. First fart joke: This might be a boys only milestone, but I can't deny I was very proud the first time Lucas imitated a fart sound and had that grin that said to me "See what I did there?". I find the whole process of developing of a sense of humor very interesting.
  5. Jumping with both feet at the same time: Apparently this is one of the most complex motor skills a human can do. Try asking your toddler to jump at different ages and you will see how hard it is for them.
  6. Kicking a ball: I love soccer so it's obvious why this is important for me.
  7. Sitting through an entire movie in the theater: As you can probably tell from the blog movies are important for me and being able to share that with my kids is important for me. I tried having Lucas watch a Star Wars movie for the first time in a theater but it didn't work, he was too young and Rogue One was darker than your average Star Wars movie. Disappointingly, his actual first movie was Despicable Me 3. I hope I have better luck with Matias on this one.
For the other parents that read the blog feel free to comment on what other non-traditional milestones you enjoyed watching on your kids.

What did I watch?
The Misfits: It was good, not very special or memorable. Clark Gable's performance is pretty good but the movie felt too long.

Please remember to vote before noon tomorrow on the Friday poll.

3 comments:

  1. Es bueno saber que mantienen una lista de todo el desarrollo del bebé, cuando a mi me tocó lo más importante era que mantuviera la cabeza por si solo y lo demás era "Como vaya viniendo vamos viendo" los felicito

    ReplyDelete
  2. +1 for nose blowing, it's a surprisingly useful skill.

    Hopping on one foot is a fun one too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, so my older 2 are late Millenials, and are invariably tied to new technology. So their unconventional milestones are using a TV/VCR and using a computer mouse. DVD's weren't common in the late 90's. The kids used a Microsoft Easyball and were able to play Putt-Putt, Pajama Sam and Freddy Fish games by themselves before they were potty trained :) I still think those might be some of the best computer games ever made for 3-8 yr old kids. I've gotten some to run on Win10 if you'd like to try them out.

    ReplyDelete