About This Blog

The Summer of Armando

My name is Armando, a Venezuelan living in Massachusetts and I work for a company that offers a few great benefits. One of them is what the...

Monday, July 31, 2017

The Opposite

Yesterday was a bittersweet day. I had one of the best experiences I have ever had with Lucas by attending his first soccer game, but at the same time 14 or more of my fellow countrymen were dying protesting against a criminal regime. This is the guilt us Venezuelans living abroad have to live with every day. It doesn't matter how great things are going in your life, there is always that hollow feeling inside reminding you that you will never be truly happy until your country is free. I named this post the opposite because that is how my relationship to Venezuela feels sometimes, the better things get for me in my life, the worse they get in my country. Today is a difficult day, I been questioning if things are ever going to get better, can the bad guys really win? All I can really do from here is hope that things get better, and that just makes me feel powerless.

In Venezuela the bad guys have the guns, the money and the power but we must not let them take our hopes and dreams. So I will focus the rest of my post on the positive. Lucas's first ever soccer game at a stadium was a success. It was Roma Vs. Juventus at the Gilette Stadium at Foxborough. We had great seats and we were able to see great players up close like Buffon, Chiellini, De Rossi, Nainngolan and almost every star of each of the two teams. Unfortunately, the only Venezuelan playing for Juventus, Tomas Rincon, captain of our national team, did not play. We did get close enough for him to say hi as you can see in the above picture.

Lucas was great during the whole game. That is 90 minutes of soccer that he was able to watch without getting bored, a great demonstration of his attention span.  His uncle did get him a huge bowl of popcorn and some Gatorade that kept him entertained for a while. Juventus scored first and he was really disappointed. But when Roma scored he had the experience of celebrating a goal at a stadium, he was happy and wanted more. During half time after drinking all of his Gatorade bottle I knew I had to take him to the bathroom. He freaked out with the crowd and the sound of all the toilets and urinals flushing at the same time and he refused to pee on any of them. I had to think fast, I knew he really had to go, so I picked my water bottle and had him pee there on a corner of the restroom. I threw the bottle on the trash and the problem was solved. In the end when I asked him what he enjoyed the most of the whole game experience his answer was "Peeing in a bottle".

Today was a normal day, a lot of smiles and easy feedings from Matias. He gave me time to reflect on what's next for Venezuela and to try to keep it positive. It's hard not to be positive with his smiley face staring at you.

What did I watch?
Crossfire: I have always been a fan of stories that use the unreliable narrator technique to tell the same story from different points of view. This movie does it really well as well as tackling some pretty advanced discrimination topics for the era in which it was made. Perhaps it is not surprising that the producer and director where eventually blacklisted for their political beliefs.

3 comments:

  1. 🤣🤣🤣🤣 que loco!!! It's what Lucas would said but I am sure he enjoyed it a lot. About Venezuela we have so many voices saying too many things about what we can do, that we are always arguing between us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mexico, Columbia & the US has now imposed economic sanctions on Maduro and his buddies (http://money.cnn.com/2017/07/31/news/economy/treasury-venezuela-president-sanctions/index.html). Oil's next. It may be the only good thing that ever comes out of the current US administration.

    Nice to see that the boys from Turin pulled out a win from the mark :)

    Would be nice to compare Crossfire and Gentleman's Agreement. I don't have time...yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm on the fence on whether an oil embargo would work. It would certainly destroy what's left of Venezuela's economy and maybe take away the incentives of the corrupt generals to keep Maduro in power. But it might also give them the perfect excuse to blame the US for all their troubles.

      I did see Gentleman's Agreement some time ago. They tackle anti-semitism in different ways. In that movie the racism is a little bit more low-key and subtle, which in my opinion makes it more real. But I liked Crossfire better simply because it is more entertaining.

      Delete