About This Blog

The Summer of Armando

My name is Armando, a Venezuelan living in Massachusetts and I work for a company that offers a few great benefits. One of them is what the...

Monday, July 10, 2017

The Cartoon

Watching cartoons with Lucas is one of the best bonding experiences I can share with him. I can divide these experiences in three kinds:

The first one consists of cartoons that I enjoyed as a kid and have managed to get him interested in them. He is a big fan of the Thundercats, Voltron, Pokemon, Animaniacs and the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. This is the best experience for me because I get to share the things that influenced me in my childhood and I can answer all his questions since I'm pretty knowledgeable in everything that is happening. Unfortunately this is not always a successful strategy, although I have gotten him hooked on some of my favorite cartoons, others he just does not care about. He gets bored really easily when we try to watch some Looney Tunes or any of the old Disney shorts for example.

The second one consists of the new cartoons that he likes but that I just can't seem to stand. The biggest example of this is PJ Masks, but I can also think of Animal Mechanicals and Chuggington. Others are so bad I don't even  make the effort of knowing their names. I just sit next to him, stare at my phone and pretend to be paying attention.

But then there is a third category, this category consists of cartoons that come from him and he has somehow hooked me into watching them. Among this, the biggest by far is PAW Patrol. It is the only show with which I share my DVR with him. We have a constant supply of PAW patrol episodes taped so we can watch them together once or twice a week. By now, I have seen every episode about 4 times, so when a new episode comes out it is a big event in our house. Sometimes, we are even luckier and one of these episodes introduces something new and special into the PAW Patrol lore. We have been following the cartoon so long that we have seen many of these. The introduction of two new pups: Everest and Tracker (his favorite because he speaks Spanish like him) and some new gadgets like the air vehicles and the spy gear. About a month ago we started seeing commercials for the next big thing: The Seapatroller! A big ship where the pups could make their rescues at sea, with new water vehicles for each of them. Since then Lucas has been asking me every day if the Seapatroller episode is out. When I saw the episode taped in our DVR  todayI could not wait for him to get home. The first thing I told him when he got home from daycare was: "Guess what's finally out? The Seapatroller!" His response was so satisfying: "Wow, you said we had to wait many days and now finally the many days are over!" We were finally able to watch it and it was glorious! Not really, but his excitement was.We saw it twice in a row.

The rest of the day was meaningless, just a long wait until Lucas would come so we could watch some cartoons together. I did manage to cook some chicken and finish the laundry.

What else did I watch?
The Set-Up: Very good movie which lost Friday's poll but I did want to see anyway. The whole movie happens in real time and the biggest highlight is the actual boxing fight.

The Story of Mankind: This is a movie famous for being bad and boy is it bad! The premise consists of a trial in outer space where they have to decide the fate of mankind after inventing the H-Bomb. On one side is the devil played by the masterful Vincent Price (the only positive thing I have to say about the movie) and on the other side the Human's Spirit (whatever that means?) played by Ronald Colman. They try to go through different periods of history where humanity was at its best and worst to try to make a decision. It is filled with cameos from stars like the Marx brothers, Hedy Lamarr, Dennis Hopper, Peter Lorre, Charles Coburn, etc.

4 comments:

  1. Well Matias is the best baby in the World or you have the best technique to keep him quiet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes he is the perfect baby! I really can't complain on how easy he makes it.

      Delete
  2. Sharing the love of cartoons has also been one of the best fatherhood experiences that I've had with my kids as well. You should show them Looney Toons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I learned...
    ...how to swear from Yosemite Sam.
    ...the value of persistence from Wile E Coyote and Sylvester.
    ...sarcasm from Bugs Bunny.
    ...not taking yourself too seriously (and how to take a punch) from The Three Stooges.

    I did watch Pokemon and The Land Before Time movies with Richard a bit too often. I'm sure his obsession with Nintendo games is my fault. I think I'll take credit for his exceptional hand-eye coordination.

    Silver linings my friend.

    ReplyDelete