About This Blog

The Summer of Armando

My name is Armando, a Venezuelan living in Massachusetts and I work for a company that offers a few great benefits. One of them is what the...

Tuesday, July 25, 2017

The Da Vinci Sleep

The closest you will unintentionally get to polyphasic sleep is when you have to feed a baby and in my opinion it will convince you that it does not really work. The hardest part of taking care of a baby is dealing with the sleep deprivation. Easy tasks like changing a diaper or preparing a bottle suddenly become super complicated. I have been very lucky with Matias. He is a very good sleeper that on his worst nights he might wake only twice. Last night for the first time in his life he slept through the whole night.

I fed him yesterday at 11 PM and put him to sleep. After that I spent some time writing yesterday's post and then loading the dishwasher and went to sleep too about an hour later. I vaguely remember hearing him complain at what I think was 3 or 4 AM, I reached for his pacifier and found his mouth to try to calm him down so I could get a few more minutes of sleep. Next thing I know it is 7 AM and he is still sleeping. I freak out a little bit and confirm that yes he is still breathing. At 7:30 I decide to wake him up, it has been 8 hours since he last ate. He wakes up happy and then proceeds to eat all day like a troglodyte. He cluster fed all day today 6 ounces every 3 hours, that is a lot for a 3 month old, but it gives me hope that he is just catching up and preparing for another full night of sleep.

The rest of the day was uneventful, I did the grocery shopping and laundry work that I had decide not to do yesterday. And in the evening we all went for a pizza dinner to celebrate Matias's first of many full night sleeps.

What did I Watch?
A Guy Named Joe: It's supposed to be Steven Spielberg's favorite movie, so much that he actually remade it. Unfortunately, it was too corny for my taste. It happens a lot watching some of these old movies, some do not age well because they look too innocent for us that have grown accustomed to a more cynical world.

2 comments: