About This Blog

The Summer of Armando

My name is Armando, a Venezuelan living in Massachusetts and I work for a company that offers a few great benefits. One of them is what the...

Wednesday, July 19, 2017

The Hand-Model

I know that this is not a Seinfeld episode title, but it is still a Seinfeld reference so I don't think I'm cheating. Today I wanted to talk about something different. As you have read in previous posts I sometimes let Lucas watch some Youtube videos on my phone so I can either get some more sleep or solve some pressing issue with Matias. At first, he would watch different children songs like the ABC song or Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star. But lately he has discovered some interesting videos that I'm surprised they even exist.

Apparently, There is a whole niche of Youtube videos that show some person opening and playing with toys and the number of views are incredible. Of these, the most successful is Miss Hands. Miss Hands is the host of the Fizzy Toy Show, she is charismatic and funny, and all you can really see are her hands while she is playing with some toys. When I first saw Lucas watching one of these I was surprised about the number of views of the video, it was in the millions. I did some research and found this incredible article where it states that she makes a comfortable living out of this. I don't have a problem with Lucas watching the Fizzy Toy Show but there is a lot of crap in Youtube that is supposedly directed to kids so I usually keep an eye on what he's watching.

It made me think about a game I usually play with Lucas. We call it "Tournament". It is our own March Madness bracket style game. We pick a multiple of two action figures, dolls, toys, etc. (usually something between 16 and 64) and have them face each other in a bracket until only one is left standing. There are some great matchups like Spiderman vs Lightining McQueen or Bowser vs Simba. It is a lot of fun and it is not predictable at all, like the time Elmo beat Batman on the first round or the time Darth Vader beat each of the Ninja Turtles to be the only villain to date to have won the tournament.  After the final match we will always sing "We are the Champions" while holding the winning action figure. I think it would make for great Youtube content. What do you guys think?

What did I watch?
Head: Psychedelic movies are usually a hit or miss with me and this was a definitive miss. The message was easy to understand during the first five minutes. Yes we know you are real people and not the sitcom characters you are trying to distance yourself from. But they kept repeating it in different "profound" ways for the next hour and a half.

Get Out: Pretty good, I wanted to see what the hype was all about and it delivers as a nice entertaining movie with a not so subtle message. I kind of wish it had a different ending and they had gotten rid of the TSA character.

5 comments:

  1. Lucas will love this kind of video he is always ready for new things. At least you will have my Like. 👍🏼
    About the film have you seen a movie called blue velvet it is strange but good movie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I have seen Blue Velvet. Very good movie and strange indeed,

      Delete
    2. 94% on Rotten Tomatoes, but Roger Ebert gave it a 1 star-thumbs down. Who cares? It has Isabella Rossellini!

      Delete
  2. Recomendarías ver get out? Entendiste por qué la gente se volvió tan loca x esa peli?

    ReplyDelete
  3. "The best children’s programming was made by idealists who took their work seriously. Mr. Rogers, Blue’s Clues, Sesame Street—they all believed that kids deserved something thoughtful. They treated the youth’s attention like a crucial responsibility. Toy channels are not evil, but it does feel like that prerogative has been lost."

    It was lost by the time i had kids. Unfortunately, my kids are either gonna cure cancer, or start the Zombie Apocalypse. It's really just a coin flip. I'm gonna blame it on YouTube (and Cornell)...'cause everyone else is gonna blame it on me.

    ReplyDelete